Monday, June 4, 2012

Golfing for Good

In this post, I referenced a time-consuming project that recently came to fruition. TJ and I hosted a golf outing on May 20th in my mom’s memory to raise money for the inpatient oncology nursing staff that cared for her during her illness. This team of nurses was – and is – incredible. The investment they made in my mom’s fight for wellness was startling, really. When my mom was in the ICU for 4 weeks, the nurses were competent, but in my honest opinion, a little cold. The oncology nurses on 14CD at Good Sam were at the other end of the spectrum. Not only were they completely competent, they were caring. They knew the names of everyone in our family. They knew me or my dad would stay the night with my mom 99% of the time and so they always made sure there was a pull-out couch or at least a recliner in her room with pillows and blankets stacked nearby. They always remembered that she preferred cherry Jell-O if they had it, and that you couldn’t pay her to eat the strawberry flavor. And they really understood when our family needed more details and when it was best to just let us cope with whatever we’d heard already.

The Terri Skeeters Memorial Golf Outing raised $6700 for Good Sam’s Inpatient Cancer Care Services. Not too shabby for our first year! All photos below are courtesy of my dear friend, Christina Gebel.

Volunteers at the registration table

Registration table

Brother, husband and scruffy cousin

My pops (on the right) and his rowdy band of golfers

Me and husband

T's Uncle Joe and his parents

Close friends of my parents, Jean & Joe, who volunteered for the day
A few of our buddies getting ready to head out on the course

Two of my friends, Brittany and Annie, volunteering at the 12th hole

Sharon & Jan, two of my  mom's friends, volunteering at our "Closest to the Snowman" hole
 TJ's brother (in all blue) and his foursome

A few of my mom's cousins out on the course

Loooots of raffle prizes... we also had a big TV and Adirondack chairs up for grabs!

My mom's mom and her husband at the dinner after the outing

Our friend Angie, winning a raffle prize and keeping an arm around her adorable son, Logan
Jim (Angie's husband/Logan's dad) and TJ announcing and passing our raffle prizes... that's my dad winning a basket of chocolate :)

Saying a final thank you to everyone who participated... ignore my duck face - I was thrilled by how successful the day was!

*If you noticed that many of us were wearing blue, that was intentional! Blue was my mom's favorite color, and it's the color for stomach cancer awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment